Posted by John Lambert on December 05, 2002 at 17:17:12 from 126.96.36.199 user John.
In Reply to: Re: cormorants or shags? posted by Jonathan Labaree on December 05, 2002 at 15:13:23:
Here on the west coast of British Columbia we have the pelagic cormarant (Phalacrocorax pelagicus)
* Length: 22 inches Wingspan: 40 inches
* Sexes similar
* Large, dark waterbird with a long, hooked bill and long tail
* Long, thin neck
* Gular region red
* Often perches with wings spread to dry them
* Entirely dark plumage except for white flank patch
* Two crests on head
* Thin, white plumes on neck
It's quite a graceful bird, black, with a long, snaky neck. From the description, it seems like the ones the Swallows saw perching on the dead tree on Cormorant Island. Never heard them called shags though.
Post a Followup